Thursday, December 8, 2005

A little Perspective

I don't like to be preachy, but wanted to bring a little perspective regarding our financial and economic status compared to others in the World. Please click on the following image and have a read.






Global rich list logo
So the next time you think or hear someone gripe about not having any money to purchase the latest iPod, dress shirt or Flat screen LCD, give them a little perspective. We all need it every once in a while and in no way is it meant to be a guilt trip or condescending. We all work hard and have our own gripes and issues, but remembering our place relative to others is a sure way to make us understand what gratitude and giving is all about.

Holiday Tip: If your having a Christmas or "Holiday" party this year, might I suggest asking your guests to bring non perishable foods or money to donate to the Daily Food Bank (or some local charity in your area) rather than accepting gifts and tacky Christmas stuff? It's a small gesture that will be greatly appreciated.

A few additional Facts:

How much money the average person relying upon food banks has to spend each day?

$4.46

Number of people relying on food programs each month in the GTA in 2005?

175,000

Number of children in the GTA who live in families that rely on food banks each month?

66,500

% of people relying upon food banks who have homes?

98

5 comments:

Christopher said...

No one should be going hungry or have to go without. I don't usually like to voice if I am hungry or complain of a hunger pain, because when I turn on the TV I see someone suffering elsewhere. People are worse off than me, and it upsets me. I wish I could give something to every homeless person on the street that I see in this cold winter weather. Seeing them huddled into doorways sleeping makes my blood boil. People always say that it is a choice, that they choose to live that way, which in some cases may be true. But what saddens me even more or the ones who need severe medical attention and cannot get proper medical care or that warm room to recover in when they get released. One day a friend got mad at a homeless person begging for food for his dog, and I took him aside and explained that even though the dog deserves better (as does the owner) that the dog acts as warmth, and gives back the unconditional love that humans cannot seem to muster towards a person like that. It pains me. That is why I rarely complain if something is wrong in my life, because it is pointless. I refuse Christmas gifts from my family that are bought from a corporate place, instead opting for gifts or a wish list where some kind of charity will benefit, or ask that a donation in my name will be made. That way the gift gives more than just once. A canned food drive is always a great way to have at the door of any fundraising event. Kudos to you
xoxo
Kissyfur

The Raven said...

I have been thinking about this lately. I would feel down about something in my life, and I would do a little paradigm shift and see that the things I was miffed about were very petty. I think we often time go about out business with blinders on and not allowing, or wanting to, see how other people live. I still think about the Hurricane victims just about every day.

St. Dickeybird said...

I NEVER complain about not having enough money.
When I start to feel broke, I remember the days when I was almost homeless, and could afford to eat something every 2 or 3 days.
And even then, I was probably better off than 90% of the world.

So humbling.

epicurist said...

Sister - I can't even imagine what she must see in her job, but perspective is a good thing.

kissyfur - You are so right with this. In the past I have made comments regarding why homeless people have pets, but they do provide that unconditional love that is so needed. Kudos to you for telling your friend and for those gift ideas.

Raven - I agree. I think we put the blinders on sometimes to delude ourselves that it does not exist or possibly to avoid having our hearts break.

Dickey - And the thing is, it IS hard when we are broke or short on cash for food etc. It really is humbling to know that while we are feeling this down, so many others have nothing, or have to rummage through garbage to get their food.

Snooze said...

A very timely and thoughtful post.