Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Scissor Sistors Concert

Scissor Sisters Concert

10:10pm @ The Guvernment

It was a fucking cold Monday night in Toronto, and my balls had literally retreated into my throat on account of the -36 degree celsius cold front. I would have been content staying in with the dog and a warm cup of tea, but I had a date with the Scissor Sisters for an evening of sexy rock and funky disco at the Guvernment. I am glad I braved the frigid weather, as this was by far the best concert I have ever been to, and I wasn't even on drugs.

After having made 2 trips to the venue (I had to return home to get my forgotten ticket), I entered a room full of energy and excitement. The crowd was energetic, eclectic, friendly and very sexy. After listening to the opening band, we all waited with anticipation for the Scissor Sisters to come on stage. We were'nt dissappointed by their entrance. With a fanfare of chic and glam, the band came on stage to a whole lot of cheers. I don't think anyone in retro has ever pulled off skin tight polyester pants the way this motley crew has. The band exuded an incredibly sexy glam-groove that was both casual and entertaining at the same time. You couldn't help but bump and grind to the music, no matter what sex or gender you fell into. Gorgeous Jake Shears, the lead singer looked like a cross between the boy next door and a whorish dirty fag. His sex appeal was the first thing you noticed. The second thing you noticed was that he was circumcised. The third thing you noticed was the incredible voice and range of Shears.


Ms. Ana Matronic was as much a sassy diva and bitch as Shears and really got the crowd going with her antics and feistiness.

These guys have style and presence and really know how to rally up the crowd. I was not immune and found myself dancing and grinding with both girls and guys. It goes without saying that the crowd was totally sexed up by the end of the night. I had to tell 2 girls I was gay when they had their hands wrapped around my ass, but that didn't stop them, and by that point I didn't particularly care.

The Scissor Sisters, cross not only the sexual boundaries of homoeroticism, but also the boundaries of music, often incorporating the sounds and styles of Abba, Bee Gees, Freddie Mercury and Elton John. What is phenomenal about their music and their stage presence is that they palatably combine 70's funk, 80's tackiness with over the top theatrics, that have completely upstaged a music scene that has become stagnant and a bore with tacky pop bands. It's no wonder that they have been labelled U.k's #1 band and album.

I look forward to their next album and tour. Won't miss it if it is -50 celsius.

22 comments:

St. Dickeybird said...

A great night had by all, and yes, a very very sexy crowd!
:)

epicurist said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
epicurist said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
St. Dickeybird said...

I was at stage left, about halfway back, wearing earrings and a smile.


Okay, blue jeans and a black tshirt, pretty much my uniform these days. Where were you?

St. Dickeybird said...

Oh yeah, remove the post asking where I was and what I was wearing, so I look like a flirt!

:0
;)

epicurist said...

stupid editing...
Anyhow, what I sadi in my last 2 comments were:

Dickeybird - I knew a tonne of people at the venue. If I had known you would be there, I would have looked for you and said hello! ;)

And I forgot to give honourable mentions to the cute guy I was dancing with, who held my hand during the majority of the concert... Thanks, you have a great smile! :)

epicurist said...

heee heee - Ok all, I removed my post asking what St. Dickeybird was wearing...only cause I thought it was stupid since there were over like 600 people crammed in there.

But alas, Dickeybird reads my blogs FAR TOO QUICKLY and therefore foiled my attempt to be swift and cunning.
:)

epicurist said...

Oh, and I was wearing jeans and a T as well, with a bright red and white motorcycle jacket...thought I would be flashy.

Anonymous said...

I'm just jealous that I wasn't there. Glad you both had such a fantastic time.

Snooze

Anonymous said...

Ah the body of the lead. He's so fine. I'm gut-wrenchingly jealous.
k

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
epicurist said...

Snooze & Knotty Boy - I felt his man sweat splatter my face as he was dancing. I think I wiped it up with a tissue and put it in a vial.

Will sell it to you for hmmm, lets say a sculpture that looks like a lotus flower or possibly some fresh made scones? (hee hee)

epicurist said...

Ms Bees Knees - I already call my boss that. He loves it! It works wonders for that HR relationship, if you don't have one already.

Anonymous said...

That's not bad tempature in Toronto. Try -48 celsius with the wind chill factor here in northwestern ontario. Wish i was there to see the concert, i probably would of bring the very very cold weather to Toronto.

dantallion said...

I'm jealous.

But, I'm also happy you had a great time.

It's my version of Yin-Yang.

Snooze said...

You had that man's sweat hit you? Oh my, I'm wiping up my desk chair with a tissue now... actually, I think I need a bucket.

Paddy Johnson said...

Man, I'm so jealous! It sounds like a great concert. My last experience with a crowd like that was Toronto Pride 1999.

Jase said...

Awesome! I'm glad you made it and had an awesome time! Beats that time at the Britney concert eh? ;)

I'm hearing a lot of great things about them.. do you think a top-40, Teen Pop, Hip Hop and R&B lovin' guy like myself would like it?

I guess I could just give it a try.

epicurist said...

Anon - That IS cold! yikes! ;P

Dan - aren't they Pandas?

Snooze - thanks for the visual. It's like that Britney concert Jase mentioned where her snatch juice splattered my face and caused thrid degree burns.

St. Snafu - Come again for another party in 2005. In fact, y'all should ALL come! We can have a Bloggers float!

Jase - lol - see 2 comments up!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are willing to "work" for art ;) That was only my first lotus. I'm sure the next ones will be much more refined.
k

epicurist said...

Knotty - "I will work it to the bone"

Anonymous said...

I wish i was there i saw them at Homelands in 2004 and they were wicked need to see them again