Friday, January 21, 2005

Quick excerpts that I forgot to mention.

Thursday Jan 13, 2005

My hair was all nappy and big, and as close to an afro as it gets. My Project coordinator at work also made mention of it, and gave me a complex, so I had to go cut it. I went to see my Vietnamese hairdresser, and upon sitting she proceeded to ask how my holiday was. This was the conversation:

Hair Dresser: Oh, Hi Alex! Good to see you! How was your holiday?
Me: Good thanks.
HD: You see lots of family, or just see friends?
Me: Both. I had some small gatherings with friends, and had Christmas dinner with family on the 25th and on the 27th.
HD: Oh that nice. You eat a lot?
Me: Well, I guess. I cooked Christmas dinner for the family. there was lots of food, because there were 14 people. Then on the 27th, my brother and I cooked for 29 people.
HD: Oh, That a lot of people! So you eat a lot then. I can see!
Me: You can see?
HD: Yes. You more round in face, and fatter in body. Holiday fat.
Me: (staring blankly): Oh...
HD: Oh no! It look good. Much better now. You clothes fit more nicely. Before you so skinny like skeleton.
Me: (staring blankly): Oh...

The remainder of the haircut was silent. I paid her, gave her the usual tip and left.

That night I had a salad.



5 comments:

Snooze said...

heeheeheee.
That's classic. But it's refreshing to hear that someone gives compliments for gaining weight.

mainja said...

tee hee. nice.

Paddy Johnson said...

You know if you were too fat no one would ever say it, but if someone thinks you're too skinny everyone thinks they can say things like "you're a skeleton" and that's somehow a compliment. That sort of shit drives me nuts!

Jase said...

I can so relate to that, it's always amusing to me when people tell me I'm too skinny. I normally rebut that they're too fat, well, only in my head.

(A bit of cultural history: Asian peoples relate being fat to being prosperous and happy - like Buddha.)

epicurist said...

Snooze - All my life, people have said I was "skinny" which I hated. I would say that was as offensive as being called "fat". Now that I have put on a bit of weight I am getting neurotic because I believe everyone expects me to be skinny.

Russ - It's all the beer and booze.

Snafu - I am emphatically nodding my head on tis one.

Jase - i don't think I want to be TOO prosperous (lol)

Sister - lol - I hope it's only 10 pounds. By the way, do I look fat in this G-String?