Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Baking, Toking & Technology

marijuana browniesLast night after dinner, Rib Breaker and I decided to smoke a joint, relax and make some "brownies". The tele was on, and I was watching American Idol, as Rib Breaker did all the work in the kitchen. To be honest, I'm not much of a baker, so I leave that to him. I just take advantage of the wholesome delicious goods that he bakes.


As he was puttering about the kitchen he was also tinkering with his new/old phone. A good friend of Rib Breakers just got a new Motorola Razr phone, so he decided to give Rib Breaker his old Motorloa V555. The cell phone, is still quite new and has all the new fandangled toys on it like a camera and multimedia stuff. Rib Breaker being the technical neophyte that he is, has been playing with it and trying to figure it out. Not to add injury to insult, but whenever I give him a technical toy to play with he reminds me of my dog Kalyx, trying to figure out how to get a cookie out of a jar. It just isn't natural for him, but he gets great enjoyment out of it, and always boasts gleefully once he's figured out the connundrum. Anyhow, Rib Breaker decided to make a call to my friend who he was sharing the brownies with and needed the phone number. This was the conversation that followed:

Me: It's 555-1234
RB (after some fumbling): Um, ok. But I want to add him to my phonebook, so wait one sec.
Me: Uh huh.
RB (with raised eyebrow): Ok, I'm in the phonebook. It says Name.
Me: Yeah? So, put in his name.
RB (keying in name, while mocking my sarcasm): "Yeah..so put in his name.." nah naah naaah naaah.
ME: Well, you ask stupid questions, you get a stupid response. Did you put his name in?
RB (smiling and giggling at phone): Oh cool, this phone will suggest names and words for you.
Me (rolling eyes): Um, yeah, really cool. You might want to know he spells his name with a G and not a J.
RB: Crap. I gotta erase and change it.
Me: Are you done yet? You've already taken 5 minutes just to enter his first name.
RB: Shuddup! It's asking for his last name.
Me: It's spelled Xxxxxxx.
RB (Keying in name): Ok. Done. It's asking me to record a Voice Name. What's that?
Me: You record his name in your voice. It's a feature on the phone, where you just say the name and it will call the person, but I never really use it. It'll take you forever to set it up, I bet.
RB: Oh Cool. Should I use his full name?
Me: Whatever tickles your fancy Rib Breaker.
RB (into phone): "George"*
RB (into phone): "Yes"
RB (into phone): "Yes!"
RB (into phone): "No!"
RB (pouting): It's not recording it properly.
Me: Turn the TV off and try it again. Maybe it's the background noise.
RB (puts tele on mute and speaks into phone loudly): "Geooorrgge"
RB (into phone): "YES"
RB (into phone): "YES!!"
RB (into phone): "NO!"
RB: It's still not working!
Me: Will you just say the name normally? You don't have to stress every letter and syllable unless you plan on saying his name like that ALL the time.
RB (into phone): "GEORGE!"
RB (into phone): "YES!"
RB (into phone): "YES!!!"
RB (into phone): "For Fucksake, NOOOOO!"
RB (into phone): "GEORGE"
RB (into phone): "YES!!"
RB (into phone): "YES!!"
RB (into phone): "Fuck, finally, YES!!"
pot brownies
I tried to keep a straight face but it was just way too funny. I honestly need to record these events on camera, so that I can do the moment justice.

* Identities have been protected.

The brownies by the way are delicious.

16 comments:

epicurist said...

Dickey - Well not literally. lol

Sister - yes. Click on the "brownie" link for the recipe.

Jericho said...

i never use the voice calling feature, either... useless feature really... but, i think i would have a hell of time messing around with that and other useless features ... like "snake" or "breakout" if i only had some of those friggin brownies

Tay Hota said...

i swear sometimes it sounds like you're dating me... i walk around all day yelling into my work phone....

Pheebs said...

Sounds like my roommate or boyfriend with any gadget but unlike you, I lack patience...always resisting the urge to snatch the thing out of their hands and do it myself.

btw, if you have any excess brownies, you know where to send 'em...

Snooze said...

Thank you for the recipe. Must try it. And don't worry, you don't need video. You did justice to RB and the phone. I almost peeed myself laughing.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! oh epi, that was fricking hilarious! pooor RB. you tried to warn him!

JM said...

You didn't tell us about your revenge!!!
I like the way you guys interact.

tornwordo said...

How funny, especially since it came before the consumption of the brownies. I can't wait to try the recipe myself!

dantallion said...

LOL - He's going to love you for posting this

The Persian said...

I love your blog, this is the 2nd time I've been here (Osbasso linkage) and I end up reading on and on. I just linked you to mine (hope you don't mind)

Happy HNT! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG that was the funniest thing I've read all day. I was trying to tell my mom (over the phone) how to review calls on the new portable I got for Christmas and it was...not going well. LOL. Did he break the microphone on the phone with all that yelling? I never used voice calling on my cell phones, it's WAY too buggy and aggravating. I'm waiting for telepathic dialing :D

epicurist said...

Jericho - What is up with those games? Does anyone actually play them?

Tay Hota - And what do your co-workers say to you?

Pheebs - I sometimes do that, but more often than not, I just sit and watch the circus unfold.

Snooze - Recipe is deliscious!

Bees Knees - I did try to warn him, but it was fun watching.

Angel - I'm kinda thinking writing about him in a post is revenge enough, but likely not. ;p

tornwordo - I know you will like it! Actually using a pre-packaged brownie mix is just as good.

Dantallion - I think he is beginning to realise that he is my Humour muse.

daelyn - telepathic dialing eh? I like that idea...

Tay Hota said...

if i knew what they were saying i would be yelling into the phone... :) it's the friggin voice recognition thing.. I'm like "name dial Joe Schmoe" and the automated bitch says "did you say "I throw like a girl?" no bitch, i did not.... and how did you know?

No one asked us said...

That is delightfully funny. Oh all the stories that I could tell about ineptness due to drugs and modern technology. Once on acid my friends decided we had to go rent the wiz, but the only video store was the one that none of us had a membership to, so we had to go there and then they made me be the one to get the membership card. I thought I was goign to freak out at every single question that the clerk asked me. Not fun.
My friends are jerks!

The Catshark said...

LOL! God that sounds like me! I get all excited about a new gadget then when I get one I decided that the whole reading of the manual isn't necessary! Then trouble ensues! Don't ask me about the whole fax/scanner/photo copier printer fiasco! LOL

epicurist said...

Persian Guy - Thanks and welcome. I will add you as a link as well. :)

Tay Hota - LOL, that is too funny!

NOAU - oh god, acid is a bit on the scary side for me. Did it once way back when in Montreal.

Catshark - We in the tech industry like to say "RTFM" and it stands for "Read The Fucking Manual"...lol

Russ - You do and you die! ;-p