Friday, September 16, 2005

Parental Phone calls deux

I just called my parents to give them an update on the dog and her conditions. My mum has been sending emails to me, basically telling me to treat her well and ensure she has lots of love since she is "an old lady now". I'm not quite certain how she thinks I treat my dog on a daily basis, but I will just hypothesize that she tells me such things because she feels guilty that she cannot be there for Kalyx. Anyhow, my dad picks up the phone and the following conversation ensued:

Dad: Hello???
Me: Oh, hey dad. How are you?
Dad: Yeah. Ok, good. What do you want?
Me: Umm, I was calling to say hi...
Dad: Oh, ok. Hi.
Me: Uh, is Mom around? I wanted to give her an update on Kalyx.
Dad: No, mum's not here. She went out. Why? You better hurry up, cause I'm taking a shit.
Me: What? Well, why are you picking up the phone?
Dad: I thought it was mum.
Me: You take the phone with you into the bathroom?
Dad: No, I run out to get it.
Me: Oh gross Dad. OK, go. I am hanging up. Tell her to call me later.

There are very few things that disgust me, but imagining my father pinching a loaf and running into the living room, hunched over with his underwear at his feet is one that does.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, that made me snort out loud! How utterly mortifying for you. I am so bathroom sensitive that I can't even imagine that scenario without almost passing out.

epicurist said...

bugg - see, its not just me is it?

russ - that is a possibility, since my mother has the art of guilt down pat.

St. Dickeybird said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Rick Aiello said...

Pinching a loaf. I think I just whooped at work.

Jess said...

I don't even know your dad, but that did it for me too. :)

mainja said...

ummm. uh. ummm.

yep. that's all i got...

The Catshark said...

LOL! Ive had that same thing happen to me! Except it was a good friend. The only bad thing was he was taking the dump while talking to me on the phone. I heard mostly everything. :)

myke said...

oh my lord ... why do our dads get like that??? i think they lose all sense of shame after raising children. quite hilarious post, sir!

myke said...

btw ... glad your pooch is doing better. mine just turned 13 recently and i'm lucky her health is really good.

congeewoo said...

oh...grooooooooooooooooooooooss!

epicurist said...

Dickey - I was too traumatized at the time to laugh.

RickTMan Rick - glad I could be of service. :)

Jess - Consider yourself lucky.

Mainja - ummm. uh. ummm. Trust me, that's plenty.

Snooze - I told my mum at dinner last night and she laughed.

Catshark - Splash....wipe.

andy - Could be an Asian thing...one never knows. lol

myke - My dad never had any sense of shame prior. That's the difference.

And thansk! Kalyx is doing really well now, and the bloodwork came back perfect. $500.00 later!

Coffee - uh huh. Now you know why I am damaged.

spooney - you mean your dad doesn't do that to you?

congeewoo said...

no, not that i know of...and frankly, i don't wanna know...if it ever happens to me, I'll tell him, "oh, you're disgusting!" and hang up...that oughta stop him...i hope

Anonymous said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Okay now I understand their pathological housecleaning sooo much more...

epicurist said...

spoony - Maybe I ought to try that as well.

daelyn - explains mine as well, doesn't it?