Thursday, September 15, 2005

Dog allergies.

Every year in the month of August, millions of people are affected by the much hated ragweed and late season pollinators, causing allergies. I am one of them. My eyes, get itchy, watery, red and puffy. My nose runs and drips. I get hives and itchy and I am stuck in the home with the air con, popping antihistamine medication.

Sadly, my dog is also affected by these late season allergies. She has had them for as long as I can remember, and we get them at the exact same time, sort of like synchronised PMS. She and I both begin sneezing and scratching. Its quite pathetic, but even more sad becuase the poor dear has to wear her much hated "Elizabethan" satelitte collar, to prevent her from scratching hers eyes out. I am doing my best but with her collar and drugged up state she looks like shes drunk, walking into corners and walls. The poor thing has hives all over her muzzle and paws and now has a few cuts and sores from rubbing and scratching.



She's been grumpy and moody and has taken up the habit of chewing my carpet to get back at me. You can see the damage from the picture on the left. RB now calls her a carpet muncher, which I have vehemently denied (no offense to you carpet munchers).

Just another 2 weeks to go before this all passes for both her and myself. She's off to the dreaded vet, where I am sure she will terrorise the other dogs and try to bite the vet.

16 comments:

Jess said...

You know, Benadryl works well for dogs. Ask the vet for the right dosage. It's effective and also a heck of a lot cheaper than the vet's meds.

If her allergies are that bad, the Benadryl may not even make her groggy.

CTS said...

Ah, poor doggy.

epicurist said...

Jess - Benadryl A made Kalyx super hyper and crazy so I stopped it and reverted to Claritin and giving an herbal remedy to calm her nerves (Valerian Root). Seems to work well, but still gotta jet her off to the vets.

cts - you have no idea. Thepoor miserable sod...but she gets a lot of attention when I walk her with the satelitte dish.

Snooze said...

Poor Kalyx. She looks like she's wearing a lamp shade. Couldn't you have decorated it a bit for her? Perhaps a lovely soft lining or a suitable fringe?

Anonymous said...

Poor darlings, both of you ....

On the good side, at least you haven't taken up carpet munching as well!

I hope you both stop itching, scratching and sneezing soon.

xo

congeewoo said...

awww...poor thing, maybe treats and chew toys will help her feel better?

St. Dickeybird said...

Wifey gets brutal allergies. Are you suggesting that I get her one of those collars?
I'll get her one if you think it's a good idea...
;)

epicurist said...

Snooze - I thought of stencilling the outside or drawing pics of biscuits all around the head. Might do that tonight.

joel - No I haven't resorted to that as yet...lol

spencer - It really is quite comical and everyone stops to ask me what is wrong with her. I tell everyone she's psycho and it is the equivalent of a straight jacket, but for dogs.

spooney - she has her yummy pig ears to eat these days, which stink, but keep her preoccupied.

dickey - Yes, they will help wifey. I suggest that at the same time you get her declawed, just to keep her from scratching your eyes out when you do it. In fact, I would be happy to come to Georgetown to witness you doing it. Should make for a great show.
You're such a romantic...wifey ios lucky to have you...lol

Anonymous said...

Poor babies! I too have terrible allergies and so did my poor old dog that I had growing up.

The allergy shots have helped me SOOOOO much - you should try them.

As for the poochie I hope her cone wearing days are over soon. It's not a sexy look for sure.

CoffeeDog said...

Poor babies all snotted up! At least you don't have to wear the collar. I was lucky that my dog never had to wear on of those ever in her 13 years.

Anonymous said...

i think her look is hot! where can i buy one of those...!? ::grin::

epicurist said...

bugg - she is on allergy meds now, as prescribed by the vet. Almost over...

coffee - i put one on to see how she felt, and it's pretty sad.

bees- It great for bukake....just funnels everything in...no spillage ::grin::

Anonymous said...

Coffee, one of my girls, had to wear one of these after surgery. She healed well but I got such a kick out of seeing her tip the cone of silence upsidedown over her food dish and eat. She completely covered her dish from her sister and enjoyed the spoils of a horrible plastic cone.
k

Rick Aiello said...

What was that movie that had the dog with the cone hat? Some early John Cusack thing. I think of that every time I see a poor doggie wearing one of those things.

Pheebs said...

aww...my puppy had to wear one of those things for two weeks as well, after she had surgery...I decorated the thing with stickers but I couldn't wait to get the thing off! Every morning we'd wake up and I'd be like, "eleven more days...ten more days!!!" Maybe if you call it a "pretty hat" like I did instead of the "satellite collar" it'll make it seem less tragic...

epicurist said...

JKnotty - Coffee is so cute! I can only imagine her with it on. I feel terrible for Kalyx, but it is so damned comical! Your'e right about the food bowl though. I get a llaugh each time.

Sister - that must have been hilarious! I like the cat lampshade...gives me a great mental picture...lol

Rickman - I think it was called Must Love Dogs...never saw it, but google spawned that title. ;)

pheebs - I do the same thing. I took Kalyxs cone off yesterday. I tell people its the equivalent of a straight jacket, casue I keep getting asked. I love their reaction after. lol