Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Some American News

I've been reading the New York Times and following up on other news in the States, and thought I'd post a few notable quotes, links that struck me.


P.S. I am trying to catch up on everyone's blogs and apologise for the neglect. Love and hugs to all!
------------------------------------------------

September 06, 2005

Fox Network Bans Our New TV Ad

As reported in Tuesday morning's New York Times, the Fox Network has taken the shocking and free-speech-infringing step of censoring our groundbreaking TV ad.

In the Times, Brian called Fox's actions "untenable," "un-American" and "disrespectful to voters."

America has a proud tradition of free political speech. We won't let the right-wing Fox Network keep us from spreading the word.

We would love to hear your thoughts in the thread below.

THREAD

---------------------------------------------------------------

I was livid when I saw this article and even more so when I read the comments. The majority of comments lacked any semblance of educated thought. I had to write something in turn but decided to use my real name and forgoe attaching my email and web address, lest I receive idiotic and unwanted correspondance. This is what I wrote:

To those misinformed negative commentators,

I am terribly sorry, but there is a considerable difference between gay-bashing and presidential pot-shots. Gay bashing, like any prejudicially driven violence has it's basis in mis-information and hate. People bash gays, or target Blacks because they are considered "different" and stand out from the "1940's American family/dream". You are comparing apples and oranges if you think that George W feels or experiences the same heat and hate that gays, blacks, muslims, women, etc, feel.

When people take potshots at the president or any political figure it is based on their failures and mistakes. Just because one becomes president does not give them immunity from being held responsible for their failings. It should be the polar opposite. You must be held accountable when you are in a position of power, because you have the power to influence and change. As a Canadian, I watch with mixed emotions how individual freedoms are being quashed and violated in the U.S based on this false sense of entitlement. Americans seem to hold their political figures in such high regard that they make them out to be demi-gods. There is nothing wrong with questioning and opening dialogue to discuss the nature of a questionable president, caucus, or government representative. This is how conversation and true debate begins. Let the people decide what is right for them. Censorship is used by those who are afraid of the truth or the emergence of alternative discussions. We are not sheep and we should not blindly follow and accept everything that is shoved down our throats.

Posted by: Alex at September 6, 2005 04:20 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many `underprivileged' better off, Barbara Bush says

September 06, 2005

WASHINGTON—As President George W. Bush battled criticism over the response to Hurricane Katrina, his mother declared it a success for evacuees who "were underprivileged anyway," saying on Monday that many of the poor she had seen while touring a Houston relocation site were faring better than before the storm hit. "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," Mrs. Bush told the American Public Media radio program Marketplace on Monday. "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them." Mrs. Bush toured the Astrodome complex with her husband, former president George H.W. Bush, as part of an administration campaign throughout the Gulf Coast region to counter criticism of the response to the storm. Former president Bush and former president Bill Clinton are helping raise money for the rebuilding effort. White House officials did not respond yesterday to calls for comment on Mrs. Bush's remarks. NEW YORK TIMES

Oh god, I really have absolutely no idea what to say regarding this except that it seems it is genetic. And as a side note, I see that Fox Network News hasn't mentioned a thing about Barbara Bush making this comment. I won't hold my breath.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dion slams US authorities over Katrina response

07/09/2005 - 08:52:09 Canadian singer Celine Dion (pictured) has launched a scathing attack on US President George W Bush's Iraq policy, while criticising his country's slow response to the southern states devastated by last week's Hurricane Katrina.

Canadian singer Celine Dion has launched a scathing attack on US President George W Bush's Iraq policy, while criticising his country's slow response to the southern states devastated by last week's Hurricane Katrina.

Dion, who has donated $1m (€7.99m) to victims of the storm, grew visibly emotional as she told of her frustration watching tens of thousands of survivors wait days for aid on CNN's Larry King Live TV show on Saturday.

The Think Twice hitmaker fumed: "I open (sic) the television, there's people still there, waiting to be rescued, and for me it's not acceptable.

"I know there's reasons for it, I'm sorry to say, I'm being rude, but I don't want to hear those reasons."

Dion criticised authorities for arresting looters in New Orleans, Louisiana, saying they should make rescuing the stranded victims a priority.

She said: "Oh, they're stealing 20 pair of jeans or they're stealing television sets. Who cares? They're not going to go too far with it. Maybe those people are so poor, some of the people who do that they're so poor they've never touched anything in their lives. Let them touch those things for once."

Dion referred to Bush's controversial war in Iraq, saying: "How come it's so easy to send planes in another country to kill everyone in a second, to destroy lives? We need to be there right now to rescue the rest of the people."

Celine, good for you. I always love hearing her speak in her Frech-English. Sometimes the wording is off, but we always get it.

13 comments:

St. Dickeybird said...

Yay! Good post. and for the first time ever, I support Celine!

Snooze said...

You know, when I first read Barbara's comments, I thought she had a point [partially, no question they are as insensitive as hell]. For me, little white middle class girl, going to prison would be my worst nightmare. On the other hand, from my volunteer work in jails, I've met a few men who have found jail the best thing ever for them. 3 squares and a roof over their head. And jail diets are gross, the risk of violence is everywhere, there's no privacy. I don't know, but maybe she was trying to make some sort of statement like that.

And I always love Celine [although I did rant about wealthy mindless celebrities and after seeing her wedding...].

epicurist said...

Dickey - I'm beginning to like Celine a bit more as well. Though she still needs to eat more.

Snooze - I suppose that is a possibility, but I doubt it. I don't think these displaced, poor and dienfranchised people need to be told that they have it better off. They are living in squalor conditions, lost the homes adn possessions that they do have. I think the most poignant quote was "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas".....Scary? Whats so scary about that? Does she have a problem with these people living in her neighbourhood or state? Makes one wonder is all...

epicurist said...

sister - lol - good point. She hasn't been there and I find it rather deplorable that she would make comments as such.

Bees - Only if you pinkie swear that I think she's kinda cool now.

mainja said...

okay, but here's my problem with people crying sensorship over fox not airing the ad...

fox has not taken action to silence them, they have just decided that they will not air the ads on their private network. in the same way that a private cafe owner can decide what flyers go in their window, does fox (assholian group that they are, please please please do not take this as a statement of love or support for fox) not have the right to choose which flyers they put in the window of their own store?

this is not at all a comment on the assinine comments comparing bush bashing to biggotry of any kind (i use that to include homophobia and sexism etc as well), but was that really what fox said? from what i read fox said they weren't running it because it was "disrespectful to the office of the president."

wasn't it?

oh. wait. i read it wrong when i read it the first time. i thought it said it was disrespectful to the president. and my response is that any ad i made that involved the current president of the united states would be disrespectful too, 'cause, well, i don't respect him. he's a wingnut. he terrifies me.

anyway, even if fox has their head so far up their ass they're wearing their ass as a hat (apparently i like the long way around, asshat, it's just too, i don't know, easy *grin*) isn't that their perogative as a private company (even if they are publically held and accountable to shareholders, they are still a private company, as opposed to a public institution)?

epicurist said...

mainja - Yes, it is absolutely the right of a private organisation like Fox to withold the airing of a commercial or show that is not to their liking or that goes against their beliefs. At the same time, we have the right to criticize an organisation for having such backward ideas about what they do and do not air.

My pet peeve about this whole issue stems from the comments on the blog for Mr. Brian Ellner.

P.S. No worries about reading it wrong. It happens to all of us ;-p

Aethlos said...

OMG, i think i like her again. ;)

dantallion said...

Perhaps she expressed it poorly, but CĂ©line's sentiments were right on the money. Good for her.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD, now I see where Bush gets his stupidity... his mother. Their better off??? Oh yeah my dream would be to be living in a dome with 10,000 other people. Sounds like a blast to me. The people she is probably talking about are the ones that just so happened to get a hotel or were put up by some kind family.

mainja said...

epi - oh yeah, i don't for a second say that it isn't dumb, it is. they are. agreed whole-heartedly. but it's not censorship...

epicurist said...

aethlos - She needs to gain some weight though. One day, a wind may just gussy up and throw her across the state.

dantallion - I am skeptical. I think she was caught making a comment that really wasn't well thought out. I don't think she meant it maliciously, but that isn't much of an excuse.

Krystal eye - Welcome and thanks for the post. You may be correct in that she may have only seen those who were put up in hotels etc. Interesting point.

mainja - I agree, it is not censorship, but it is shady and manipulative to report only what is in your interest. Did you notice FOX conveniently did not mention anything about Barbara's comment, nor did they mention anything about George W's inappropriate comments?

CoffeeDog said...

I missed her spot on CNN, Barbara's and Celine's. I've been glued to the TV, but I guess I'm not that glued

The Catshark said...

Ok I thought I should give a little piece of advice on this topic. Well you have to look at this from Barbara's point of view. She has never had to suffer like us poor sorts so she cannot really relate to all this that is going on. She has never lived in the ghetto doesn't understand its culture so saying they are better off after the disaster. Is only a view point from what she has experienced in her life time.

A community of people stuck in a stadium suffering with uncontrollable losses isn't my idea of being better off but as I said before I never experienced being in a rich lavish lifestyle.

As for Celine Dion, that was awesome! I think I may start listening to her stuff again!