Thursday, August 11, 2005

Memories of my mother

It was an early summer morning and I could hear my mother moving about the house in preparation for work. This was her morning ritual, which she did for many years, before she finally decided to retire early and enjoy life. Every morning though, it was always the same. She never deviated from the plan unless of course she was late. This all occurred many years ago, when we all still lived under the same crazy roof in Oakridges, Ontario. As I lay in bed, I could hear her footsteps as she went down the stairs and let out the dog, made her tea and went to the powder room to do her make-up and hair.

In the midst of this mornings ritual, I could sense a certain rush as she paced about quicker than usual. It wasn't long before I too stirred out of bed, got up and dressed. As I groggily went down the stairs, I noticed a peculiarly odd smell in the air. When I got to the foyer, the smell became even more overpowering. There was a slight haze in the air as well, and I rubbed my eyes believing it to be the residual drowsiness. It didn't seem to help.

As I sniffed the air and looked around, my mother looked at me quizzically and gave me that look of annoyance that told me I was acting weird and to be sure not to get in her way. I was used to that look and began to think it was all in my head, when 20 seconds later she too noticed the odd smell. We both began looking around, when I noticed it was emanating from her.

For the past 3 years I had been working in a garden centre and was quite familiar with plants, and plant products, and this year was no different. I looked at my mother and told her I recognised the smell, walked into the bathroom with her and picked up the can she had been spraying copious amounts of, into her hair and turned the label around.

She looked uncomprehendingly for a moment, then screamed as she realised she had just sprayed about 1/4 of a can of Bug repellent into her hair.

I love my mother. She makes me laugh without intending to.

Note: The title makes it sound like she has passed, but she alive and well, thanks.

14 comments:

Paddy Johnson said...

oh my god that is hilarious!

St. Dickeybird said...

Heehee, reminds me of the time I brushed my teeth with zit cream. The front of the tube looked just like the back of a Crest tube.
Blech!
:)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Okay that just made my day. Reminds me of the old prank of switching the toothpaste with hemmhoroid (sp?) ointment. That's awesome. Maybe she was just being super wise and getting a head start on avoiding West Nile virus?? :D

congeewoo said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAA, thanks for the laugh epi!

epicurist said...

Snafu - You should have seen how hard we were laughing.

DIckey - ugggh, that is soo much worse.

Daelyn - Glad I was able to help. I never switched the toothpaste...ewww, what a cruel child you were. lol

Sister - agreed. I think she learned her lesson.

Spoony - your welcome! :)

Andy - Hello and thanks! So am I.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! My mother is also unintentionally hysterical because she talks before she thinks, oh and because I have a dirty mind.

Anonymous said...

Epi, I just love your mother! Haha!

dantallion said...

Ha! Brilliant.

(Although I suspect if she ever finds out you actually posted that online, she'll be spraying YOU with the repellent)

Vixen said...

That is too funny! Great Post!

Anonymous said...

This is very funny!!

It sort of reminds of the time a darling female friend, who shall remain nameless, told me while drunk about the time she accidently sprayed hair lacquer on her hoo-ha thinking it was vaginal deodorant (who knew, eh!). She didn't realise her mistake until her boyfriend got a mouthful. I still occasionally call her Crunchy.

epicurist said...

Bugg - Hello & Welcome! I like dirty minds too! :P

Bees - she's crazy just like me.

Dantallion - If she does, I'll write about it..lol

Vixen - Welcome, and hot pic!

ethan - Thanks, but like Dantallion says, she'll probably kill me if I tell her.

joel - that is utterly nasty...uggh

Anonymous said...

Epi, I apologise. I didn't mean to gross you out. I was a little stoned when I posted that comment. It wasn't very nice of me. You can delete it if you like.

Vixen said...

Who is T.O.?!?! Ok, you non-football lovin' freak! ;) T.O. = Terrell Owens the best Wide Receiver in the NFL, Currently causing havoc at the Philadelphia Eagles Camp. The Eagles are my favorite team since I'm from the Philly area.

epicurist said...

Joel - No, I don't censor :) Besides, it was funny despite it's grossness!

vixen - Using the term wide receiver around me conjures up different ideas.