Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Wrapping Up

I was at the LCBO (Liquor store) today amongst the masses purchasing last minute party favours and gifts for colleagues. The place was a zoo, but I had no choice as I had to purcahse some Cognac for a colleague. When I got to the cash, the cashier asked if I wanted the gift wrapped for $2.50. Having no time to do it myself, I agreed.

I waited for 10 minutes when a slightly confused guy came up to the wrapping desk to assist me. The first words out of his mouth were “I have never wrapped anything before”. I decided to take matters into my own hands and told him to stand aside and I would wrap my own gift.

He made no attempt to disagree as the lineup was getting larger. In fact, it became quite the tutorial as I deftly wrapped, ribboned and parcelled my package. As I finished, the other waiting customers asked if I could wrap theirs instead of the fellow. I told them I didn’t work there, so I helped him on the next package and gave him some tips then left.

He followed my leave with a “thanks, how’d you learn to do that?”, with which I replied “ I’m gay, it’s hard coded into my genes”.

I could hear the laughter as I left.

10 comments:

St. Dickeybird said...

Nice one!
I guess that explains why my wrapping skills come and go.
;)

Snooze said...

How did you cope without your glue gun?

epicurist said...

Dickeybird - I sometimes wish I could turn it off, but unfortunately it's a curse.

Snooze - you have no idea how frustrated I was. In fact, I actually mumbled several times aboutnot having a glue gun as being akin to a Carpenter without a hammer. Honestly, you would think the LCBO would get it together! What do they think all our taxes are for?

Jase said...

Very interesting, and explains a lot... Way to go with helping the less fortunate!

epicurist said...

Russ - It always surprised me. It was like the Pink elephant in the room that no one saw.

Jase - You have no idea how interesting. :)

dantallion said...

Ahahahaha.

Unwrapping 'packages' is also hardwired into us. Or so I'm told.

St. Dickeybird said...

Hard-something'd into us, anyway.
;)

epicurist said...

Dan & Dickeybird - LOL, I bet you could twist the lord's prayer into something sexual.

Btw, the bigger the gift the better!

St. Dickeybird said...

Epi, of course we could! That's why you're supposed to say it on your knees!
Merry Xmas, or whatever floats your weekend.

Paddy Johnson said...

That's one awesome post!