Monday, August 9, 2004

The Worst Pick-up Line

Ever meet someone so completely ignorant, that you have no other option but to laugh? Some of my personal experiences are so embarrassing that I'd rather not re-live, but the stupidity of some people simply brings a smile to my face, and this is my tribute to them. Life really is far too short to ignore the opportunity of making fun of idiots. A number of years ago (over 10), I was hanging with some buddies at a downtown Toronto bar, when this guy came up to me to chat. The ensuing conversation went like this:

White Dude(talking really slowly): "Hiiiii, Myyyyy name is Miiichaelllll. What's yooour name?"
Me: "uh, Alex."
WD: "Hiii Al-Lex. Is that your real name? Your English is verrry good."
Me thinking: Your an imbecile. God, I knew I should have gotten another drink.
Me: "Gee, thanks. I try really hard at speaking English well. And yes, Alex is my real name."
WD: "Wow, You barely have an accent and you have such beautiful yellow skin."
Me: "Yellow skin? That's lovely, thanks.
WD: You're very welcome!
So, don't you have a you-know, Oriental name?"
Me thinking: Why do you want to know? Even if I tell you, you'll bastardise it.
Me: "Yeah, it's xxxx-xxx."

He tries repeating it around 5 times like a kid picking up a new word. I just say "yeah, that's it! You got it!", just to shut him up.
WD: "What does it mean?"
Me: "It means, I'm not interested."
WD: "But you barely know me. I'm sure you will likey-likey." (he grins)
Me Thinking: Oh NO he Didn't just say that to me?
WD: So where are your from?"
Me: "Richmond Hill."
WD: "No, I mean, where are you really from? You're Oriental right?"
Me: "I'm from my mother. And just so you know, it's not Oriental. It's Chinese or Asian. Oriental is a refernece to the East, and is also a type of furniture. It's offensive. And I am sure you wouldn't want me calling you Occidental...maybe Accidental"
WD: "huh?"
Me: "Sorry Michael, but I have to go now. My master is waiting for me to pick him up in his rickshaw, and since my feet have been bound since I was 3, it takes me a while to get him home. Bye."

I'm always reminded of Margaret Cho and her One-woman show I'm The One That I Want

where she so eloquently discusses the humour and stupidity of some people when it comes to Race and ethnicity. http://www.margaretcho.com/movie_clips/movie_clips.htm
I guess I can't blame anyone, I mean, really, we all do look alike don't we?

1 comment:

epicurist said...

Maybe you could pay them to say whatever you want!