Monday, October 31, 2005

Kashechewan

Kashechewan

Just hearing about it makes me angry and frustrated. I can't even imagine what the people there are feeling. It's high time that both the Aboriginal Nations (Indian Affairs) and the Federal and Provincial governments get off their asses and do something about the failure and problems on Native Reserves. You wonder why suicide, alcoholism and general malaise is so rife on reserves and it comes down to a few things (in my mind).

No where to go
Nothing to do
No training
No jobs
No economic viable industry
No morale
No support (from government and society)
No sense of accomplishment
Loss of pride
Loss of culture

When you are placed on a piece of land with nothing to help facilitate growth, industry or economic stability, what do you expect the people to do? An old friend of mine who is from the Mohawk Nation told me once that the First Nations people feel as though they are a forgotten people, with more stereotypes against them than any other Race or cultural group. We had an interesting debate about that and I am torn and on the fence. I can remember being unemployed for 3 months, looking for a job in Toronto and feeling like crap, but I had the opportunity to go to many employers and also have a solid educational background. Imagine when you have nothing. And then you get people making dumb ass comments that Natives are drunks and druggies and lazy.


I've been busy and have lots to say but have been too busy so will try to catch up later. Hope everyone is well, and have a Happy Hall'o'ween!

Funny Picture - Naughty Halloween Costume

4 comments:

EarthMother said...

I get really ticked off when it comes to hearing stuff about Native Canadians. I read an article in the Globe about a month ago about a piece of land in Manitoba that the government wants to severe and turn into cottage property. The natives were up in arms because it was the burial grounds of the giant sacred turtle and had rocks surrounding it that had been placed by their ancestors hundreds and thousands of years ago. It's amazing that we're not embracing that as part of our culture since it really is part of Canadian heritage.

Snooze said...

I can't believe that we have third world conditions on so many reserves. Boil water orders for 10 years? That's appalling.

St. Dickeybird said...

I read somewhere that Canada is #2 (according to the UN) for treatment of our aboriginal people. Better than Australia, but 2nd worse is appalling.

epicurist said...

EM - Sad how we forget that their heritage is integral to the Canadian Identity. I have to admit that I am occassionally a culprit in this general failure of acknowledgement.

snooze - This goes back to my whole point, that Reserves have historically been a failure. It is sad, adn somebody has to be accountable for the failures and for the future of Natives and their rights. Of course, this is a 2-way street, and some may blast me for saying so, but Native Affairs and Natives themselves need to take reigns for their own liberation and success in Canadian society.

Dickey - interesting...I did not know that. DO you mean Canada is #2 for worst or best treatment?