Friday, November 18, 2005

Osteopathic Fixes

The body is truly an amazing thing, something we take advantage of far too often. I have mentioned in the past that I have a number of joint and muscle problems such as Ankylosing Spondylitis, and fibromyalgia. I've lived with it for many years and you sort of get used to the daily pain and fatigue. This morning wasn't any different. I was sore and completely fatigued as I was unable to sleep well the last 3 days due to my sciatica. I went to work and was not feeling well, intending to head home to rest after lunch.

I've tried many different therapies, but it was only when I met Rib Breaker that I began to understand how intricate the body worked and how your mood and disposition could easily be affected by what was happening to it. RB, being a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) would often tell me to do certain things to promote better health and strength. RB has been instrumental in teaching me more about the body and we both went to look at the amazing exhibition at the Ontario Science Centre called Body Works as part of this continued education. It was an eye opener and I would highly recommend the trip to go see it.
The image “http://cooltech.iafrica.com/cm_pics/technology/12-1845-0-0_188700.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
The one thing RB has been pushing me to do, was to see his Osteopath. I was hesitant, as I tend to be cautious and a bit cynical when it comes to treatments. I've seen Physiotherapists, Chiropracters, doctors, rhemotolgists, gastro-enterologists, etc, and my general conclusion is that they have all been useless. The pain is always there and all they do is poke, prod and examine you, telling you the same thing you have always known, followed by prescriptions to some COX 2 inhibitor NSAID.

Well, the cynic finally has nothing to complain about, and that in itself is an acccomplishment. In fact, after seeing this Osteopath, I have energy and a sense of well being. He manipulated my muscles, joints and re-aligned my body and I feel great. The procedure was unique and I didn't expect to hear my body crack and pop as much as it did, but despite the shock of it, I am glad I went. It has been a while since my body has told me that it feels good. Today it is telling me I am great.

So, thank you Doc for this and I hope to see where this will go.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am a tad bit jealous! And glad you are feeling good. I could use a really good snap, crackle, pop. By the way, I really enjoyed learning so much about you from your Two entry.

No one asked us said...

I wish I could have a man come over and prod and poke me and be sore in the morning after (of course not every day). I am very happy you are feeling better Epi!

Anonymous said...

joint mamipulation can work wonders. If I had the money or an insurance that paid for it, I'd be seeking treatment at my former Chiropractor's office. He is also an osteopath.

Glad you're feeling better.

EarthMother said...

Sorry to hear you were feeling awful, but glad you've found some relief. I'm now making a mental note to see an Osteopath myself since supposedly I've got some auto-immune thing going on that has caused me no end of distress ... thanks for sharing.

Snooze said...

Like EM, I'm inspired to see an osteopath from your post. I've heard too many horror stories about chiropractors, but this sounds great.

The Raven said...

I see a Chiropractor when my back acts up. My Rhomboid muscled (right bewteen the shoulder blades) have scar tissue from when I pulled a muscle years ago lifting weights. If I don't stretch and do other weights, it "fires up" and I basically cannot move for 2 days. The worst move was trying to get up from laying down. The chiro helped with muscle tension, but it was only relief of symptoms, not a fix for the problem. I should look into an Osteopath.

The Catshark said...

hmmm you made me interested as well! I will have to check into this because I suffer from a lot of the stuff you do.Ive had a bad back even when I was young. My knees are all filled with arthritis and my neck snaps and pops. Ive been on countless pain medications for it all and they NEVER work.

CoffeeDog said...

I herniated a disc this past spring - it was the worst pain ever imagined. Glad you are feeling better.

I did hear that Body Works is amazing. I don't think it's coming to ATL anytime soon.

Paddy Johnson said...

"The body is truly an amazing thing, something we take advantage of far too often"

It's funny, I've been thinking that a lot too lately. This is mostly because, last year at this time, I would have already caught at least 2 colds. I imagine as a result of my exercising, I haven't caught anything yet. It's kind of nice.

Anyway, good for you for finding the Osteopath, and RB for pushing you to do it. My opinion on matters such as these is that since everyone's body and lifestyle is different, you really have to shop around to find what method of treatment is right for you.

St. Dickeybird said...

Eeek, there are way too many medical condition-links on this page!

My standard practice of discerning the illness, locating the problematic bodypart, trying to dig it out (or just poke it) with a sewing needle, and then heading to the doctor for antibiotics from the ensuing infection isn't going over so well with Wifey.
I might start seeing certified doctors soon.

Lee said...

Hurrah! This pleases me. Get well soon via cracking, my boy.

epicurist said...

bugg - thanks. I was riding on a weird high that whole afternoon and evening. I am sure part of it was psychosomatic, so I will try to curb my enthusiasm until my next one.

NOAU - hmmm, I get that from my boy all the time, so I can do without from other sources...lol

mr. brian - It sure felt good. I guess were lucky in Canada with our health care.

EM - I do have to say it is a personal choice but I would at least check it out if your'e interested. If you hate crackiung and stuff don't go.

EM - I went to see a chiro but asked that they not do any bone manipulation as I was still cautious due to all the bad press a year ago.

Raven - I am told the osteopath does more than just bone manipulation and often involves massage and muscle relaxation.

coffee - ouch, I hope you're better now!

st. snafu - yes, agreed. This was my personal experience which turned out well. I would definitely suggest people use their own judgement.

st. dickey - RB has an issue with my heroin addiction and track marks. He says its just not sexy anymore. I just say "whatever, and pass the needle"

lee - danke! Lets see what he does tomorrow when I visit again.

Jase said...

I believe in chi, the flow of body energy. If the flow is broken, it'll affect your health.

So if crackin' is fixin', get on crackin'!

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

dantallion said...

A couple of my colleagues swear by their Osteopaths. I'm still a little reluctant to try. The whole "body parts popping and cracking" thing really doesn't do it for me...

Yes, I am a medical wimp.

Normlr said...

I can't say enough about acupuncture. I'd highly recommend it.