Saturday, January 24, 2004

Dating 101 Part deux

It's another late Friday night or early on Saturday morn - I can't tell and I can't sleep. Seems to occur more often than not nowadays.
Barely slept the night before - Not for the lack of trying, but I seem to get into a bad routine of thinking about work and other weird things. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven't written much in the last week or so. All this built up energy waiting to spew forth on paper, or in this case the keyboard.

Anyhow, I told you all that I would try to keep you updated on the dating situation or lack thereof. I haven't been on any dates, but I have joined a few sites to "advertise" myself so to speak. As part of this dating adventure, I decided to join http://www.face-pic.com/epicurist a few days ago on the recommendation of a friend. I'm not sure if people in this world have nothing better to do, but in 4 days I have something like 700 visits. Kinda shocking, and a little unnerving.

This is how the first day went. I got about 40 messages in about 2 hours.
I couldn't answer them all because I am a free user, and they limit the amount of emails you can reply to.

Anyhow, to cut to the chase - I got onto one of their chat sites and some fella sends me a message telling me he thinks I'm cute and tells me his dick size and that he is a top. I didn't ask for the information, but thanked him for the voluntary details. He said he looked at my profile and thought I was "neat" and that my "English was written good".
I replied "it's 'well'".
He replied "huh?"
I knew at this point where the quality of the conversation would go.
I had a look at his profile which had as much substance as a...well, he had no substance. He had no pictures to boot. So I questioned him, and asked for interests, hobbies, stats, etc.

He said he was new to the site and was 46 etc. His profile said he was 35. I queried which he was, and he shot back "What are you a profile Police or purist? "
"No" I replied, "Just honest and a realist. It makes one question the integrety of a person when they don't tell the full truth". I then made some reference to his age at which he replied "old is good"
"Well then, why lie about it?" I asked. By the silence, I knew he obviously was stumped by my question.

Anyhow, the fellow was the least of my worries. I've had to fine tune my profile to essentially weed out or scare as many people away from asking me retarded and inane questions like "Are you Chinese?" Read my fuckin profile, it says right there.

Anyhow, obviously this is not working to my advantage. If I have to use scare tactics I'm not likely to meet anyone. On top of all this, I am getting job requests and people asking to send their resumes to me... what the fucks up with that one?

But honestly, I have chatted with a number of decent guys, but the ratio seems to be about 1:3 (good:dorks). The odds are stacked against me. This unenviable part of my life seems like a Sisyphusian task, but I do admit that I enjoy seeing the complexities and humour in all of it. I am after all, a sucker for humour and sarcasm.

Just wish other people would get it.


No comments: