Tuesday, June 14, 2005

This Should Be Illegal

I just read Normlr's post This Should Be Illegal and believe everyone should go take a look at the hate that this organisation is inciting and the type of mis-inforamtion they are disseminating in the name of Christianity and God. They are also known as exodus and essentially believe that gays/lesbians are immoral, misguided people who require the love of god to reform them. They fail to mention that this organisation uses methods akin to brainwashing and deprivation to get into the heads of their "clientelle". I am somewhat familiar with them as I have met them here in Toronto when I came out at 15. It's sickening.

I took a gander at the site and decided to go to their contact area and sent them a messag. No needto leave personal information. I just wrote the message and sent it off. It really ticks me off when I see people twist and manipulate history and text to suit their vision and propogate hate and fear.

Enough said about them. I might end up smashing my screen with my gay pink rage, and my not-so limp wrist/fist.
------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I wrote to them:
"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, men other-centered can build up. I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed, and nonviolent redemptive goodwill will proclaim the rule of the land.

"And the lion and the lamb shall lie down together and every man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree and none shall be afraid."

I still believe that we shall overcome. This faith can give us courage to face the uncertainties of the future. It will give our tired feet new strength as we continue our forward stride toward the city of freedom. When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds and our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, we will know that we are living in the creative turmoil of a genuine civilization struggling to be born."

This was a famous speech by Nobel Prize winner and martyr, Martin Luther King. His vision of the world was that we would have unconditional love for one another. I am deeply perturbed by your referencial use of God and the Holy scriptures to promote the mis-guided hate and misinformation about gays/lesbians. You state that your ministry follows 3 foundational Truths, but in reality, they are assumptions and suppositions. The only judge can be God, not you or anyone in your ministry. Additionally, for those who are not Christian, your theories and foundational truths are not applicable. How do you approach this? Will you, like so many other Catholic and Christian missionaries take on the historical aproach of invade and conquer and convert? I am sure you believe what you do, for reasons of your own (fear, hatred, sadness, weakness of faith or heart), but I pray for your souls as well. Either one of us could be wrong, but the fact remains that if God does truly exist it is God who shall do the judging upon the final day, not you. Do not be so arrogant to think that your work in the eyes of God, are what God wants. I am open to discussion and empirical information about your mission, but will continue at this point to spread the word that what your organisation does, is hurtful and destructive to the human spirit and to God's will.


16 comments:

St. Dickeybird said...

They seem to be treating gay kids from Nazi-Jew lesson books!
These horrific people are incredibly un-christian in their actions.
I'll be emailing them tonight, and adding my personal info in case they'd like a chat with a very angry Dickeybird.

congeewoo said...

oh my god, that's unreal! poor kid, i hope his parents will understand one day. as parents, although shocked, they really should try their best to be there to help their kid, not by forcing ideas onto him to mold him the way they want him to be. parent always think they own their kids, so sad.

St. Dickeybird said...

PS. giving my personal info to welcome discussion is actually how my Christian parents converted the Jehovah's Witnesses that came to their door.

heehee

epicurist said...

Dickey - That is quite true, adn very scary. i will have to hear about the Jehova story sometime.

Sppony - It's all about unconditional love..or what it should be about.

sister - I have no idea what the hell he is talking about. these so called Foundational truths? sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Being related to some Jehovah's Witnesses, I have to say it probably wasn't terribly challenging. I find the people they attract to their organization are those who are easily swayed and weak minded, those who crave guidance and leadership because they can't manage their own lives. They prey on the weak.

Oh and as much as I admire and agree with what you have to say and all the promises here to email these people with your opinions, my experience has been that fanatics rarely listen to truth, or reason. Your words will likely fall on deaf ears (which they have purposely deafened by sticking blunt implements in their ear canals).

epicurist said...

Daelyn - how true, how true! I don't expect a response or a conversation there, and I completely agree that religion is a crutch and a haven for those who do not have inner strength and resilience. Good point - your words do not fall on deaf ears here! :)

Ms Bees - Thanks for the shit blowing up visual... ewwww!

Anonymous said...

What were those flaming bags of shit called kids used to prank with. Something like molotov cocktails?

*hugs Epi* It's okay, the sane people still slightly outnumber the insane (in the bad sense of insane)

St. Dickeybird said...

Ummm, Dae, you used to play with poo??

epicurist said...

Oh god Dickey, why did you have to go there?! Scat (and I don't mean Jazz scat) is just nasty...Well, to be all PC, if you enjoy it? Fine, go ahead - I don't mean to "poo-poo" it, it's just not for me..I'm just sayin'!

St. Dickeybird said...

Protesting too much?
;)

Anonymous said...

*gives Dickeybird a significant look* You /so/ do not want me to go there.

And no, I have never knowingly played with poo. LOL. Ewwwwww.

St. Dickeybird said...

I've been trying to get on their site for about 18 hours now, and the server seems to be down.
Maybe it's divine will clamping down on them?

Snooze said...

I think that it's good to comment on their site to let them know that we will not be silent, but equally important to get involved in causes that support gay/bi/questioning youth. As many of you posting here have already. Screw the Exodus program, let's give these kids somewhere/someone to go or talk to who will actually listen and validate their feelings. Maybe we can do a fundraiser for the youth line at our next blogger meeting [you know, throw in an extra buck for every pint you drink type thing]

epicurist said...

Holding - Thank you for that bit of insight. My encounter with them was far less traumatic, and far less involved. But you are correct in that their "love" and "care" are performance based. When they spoke of gays and lesbans, it was with such hate and internal despise. I am glad you are out!

Daelyn - the shit here is Exodus.

Dickey - Maybe so many of us are spreading the word that they crashed! :)

Snooze - That is a WICKED idea! Lets chat more about it and figure a way to organise and arrange it.

St. Dickeybird said...

Snooze: I used to volunteer there, and had no idea how huge the need is for youth support!
It's horrifying to see what these kids are going through.

Paddy Johnson said...

Epi: Great letter. Really, really great.