Wednesday, March 9, 2005

My doggie is looking for a new home

It breaks my heart, but my baby Kalyx (pronounced "Cal-licks" or "Kay-licks"), is no longer welcome in my condo, due to her daytime barking (PICTURES). This has been going on for quite sometime now, and despite extra attention, returning home for lunches, and various types of training and re-conditioning, she hasn't improved much. My decision hasn't been easy, as I have struggled with this for the last year, but I am hoping if my parents don't take her, that some other kind person will.

Kalyx is a beautiful, energetic, bright Shepherd Cross Breed with very fine soft cuddly fur, who is often entertaining and always silly. She can often be a loner, and doesn't like sleeping on the bed, unless she is by herself like the Queen diva she thinks she is.

She has always been a whiny dog, and has a bit of seperation anxiety. Hide a few treats, to search for when you leave, and she is generally okay.

She requires a home without any other pets as she does not get along with other dogs or cats. Preferably a home without children as well and with a backyard, where she can sit during the day, as she loves to bask in the sun. She is 13 years old (birthday first week of June) and in very good health. The only issue with her, is she is getting old and needy and possibly losing her senility. She is generally a quiet non-barking dog, unless agitated or upset. The perfect home would be one where the owner would be there most of the day (home office?).

She generally eats dry dog food and occassionally gets a treat from the table or store bought can food. She loves apples, pears, peaches and potato chips, and will sit and watch you eat every morsel of food on your plate, in the hopes that you drop or give her some.

I am desperately searching for someone, or a couple who will love her and give her what she needs in her old age.

It breaks my heart even thinking about parting with her. As much love as I have for her, I am unable to provide what it is she needs - a safe, happy home with someone who will likely be with her most of the day.

Please email me directly, or feel free to leave a comment on my blog if you or someone you know might be interested.

Sincerely,
Alex

7 comments:

Joshua Kreig said...

hey Alyx,

I was watching life network (i think) and they had this doggy therapist/trainer that helps people work through pet issues through careful retraining. Is it possible that you can get some doggie school training to stop the barking? It would seem to be a combination of seperation anxiety, boredom, and sensitivity to sounds in the building that is causing the doggie to bark. Dogs are pretty easy to behaviour modify.

I think getting rid of her so quickly may be premature. If you do go to doggie school inform the management that it is happening and they may cut you some slack.

XO
joshua

mainja said...

joshua, did i miss something here? i'm pretty sure that epi has tried that stuff, and that this wasn't a quick decision.

epi i hope you find somewhere, i'll keep my ears and eyes open.

Joshua Kreig said...

I believe I did pose a question in there somewhere and it was observations gleaned from said episode of aforementioned tv program. My apologies if it appears I am questioning Epi's parenting skills. We've know each other for so many years I am sure he will not take it as so but as concern as it was meant.

Paddy Johnson said...

I'm so sorry about your dog. That really sucks epi.

epicurist said...

Thanks All,

Stoned Bunny - no offense taken. Those are good suggestions and I am now soliciting the help of an Animal Behavioural Therapist.

I think in my concern, worry and stress, I was just emoting what I was feeling - helpless.

I am home again today with Kalyx as she was barking after I left, so I have had time to contact SPCA to discuss options, and I am working on them.

Thank you all for the supportive words.

Snooze said...

Oh sweetie, this post broke my heart - for both of you. I was wondering if doggy day care was an option, but probably not if she doesn't mix well with other dogs.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

St. Dickeybird said...

I feel for you.
I've had to give away a pet before
:(
It's a tough thing, but we sympathize.